Tag Archives: womens football tee shirts

Wilkes-Barre and Eastern Railroad

The Wilkes-Barre and Eastern Railroad (WB&E) was a railroad that operated in Pennsylvania from 1892 to 1939.

The WB&E was a wholly owned subsidiary of the New York, Susquehanna and Western Railroad (NYS&W). It was chartered in 1892 to provide the NYS&W with a route to bring coal from the mines in northeastern Pennsylvania for delivery to the port of Edgewater, New Jersey.

Previously, the NYS&W was contracting the coal haulage in Pennsylvania to the Delaware sock cleats, Lackawanna and Western Railroad (DL&W). The DL&W originally hauled coal to their interchange with the NYS&W at Gravel Place, Pennsylvania sweater depiller. From there, the NYS&W would haul the coal to an interchange with the Pennsylvania Railroad in New Jersey.

With the WB&E and exclusive control of distribution facilities at the port in Edgewater, the NYS&W had a direct way to move the coal from the mine to various markets without having to rely on (and pay) two additional railroads for haulage.

About 15 miles east of Wilkes-Barre, the WB&E crossed the Panther Creek ravine over a spectacular 1,650-foot viaduct which stood 161 feet above the creek bed. It consisted of 20 iron towers and 42 spans, having 30-foot spans atop the towers, and 30- or 65-foot spans between towers. After some initial problems with the concrete tower foundations, the ironwork of the single-tracked bridge was erected in only six weeks and completed on August 3, 1893.

In 1896, the WB&E created the Susquehanna Connecting Railroad to connect its main line with additional coal breakers in Minooka and Old Forge. The connection with the WB&E was at Paddy’s Land, later renamed Suscon Junction. The Erie Railroad and the Delaware and Hudson Railway also connected with the line in Moosic, Pennsylvania.

The WB&E was touted as the shortest route from the Scranton coalfields to the New York tidewater football socks ireland, being ten miles shorter than the shortest alternative route. However, its late entry into the region meant that the best routes were already taken, so the WB&E had grades and curves which limited the size and speed of its trains. After the Erie gained control of the NYS&W in 1898, it chose to divert traffic onto the Erie’s Wyoming Division via the Susquehanna Connecting to Hillside Junction, and the WB&E eastward from Suscon slowly fell into disuse.

Unable to pay the interest on its mortgage bonds, the WB&E filed for both bankruptcy in 1937. Local freight train service continued to operate on the line up to four times a week until abandonment in 1939. The Wilkes-Barre Connecting Railroad purchased the Susquehanna River bridge at Plains on August 1, 1940. Except for a small stub of track in Suscon, Pennsylvania and this bridge, nothing remains today of the WB&E. In actuality, there are several miles of track remaining along with several concrete structures and switches. The developer of Center Pointe East trade zone wants to restore rail service on this former line.

While there are no operating sections of the WB&E extant today, one building from its car and locomotive shops (actually the NYS&W shops) was still standing at Stroudsburg in the former Katz Scrap Yard just adjacent to the south side of Interstate 80 until 2005. The Stroudsburg freight station, originally located at the present site of the Shop-Rite Supermarket, was moved to Ann Street, set up on the site of the former Stroudsburg Traction Company carbarn, restored, and converted into the Driebe Museum. In addition, the freight house at Pocono Lake still stands unused just off Route 940 in the defunct Frisbie Lumber Company yard and is visible from the road. Contrary to other reports, the present “Olde Engine Works” antique shop building in Stroudsburg had nothing to do with either the NYS&W or the WB&E, as it was simply a factory that manufactured electric motors used to power winches on fishing boats.

Motorists can trace the WB&E roadbed by following Route 940 West and some sections of I-380 North to the junction with I-80 in Mount Pocono. Long Pond Road near the village of Little Summit intersects with the right of way and was the location of a grade crossing womens football tee shirts. Following Route 940 West towards Pocono Pines, the roadbed is easily visible along the lake on the right as are remnants from a bridge. Much of the line is preserved on Pennsylvania State Game Lands and is easily hiked.

Share This:

Hazel Wolf

Hazel Wolf (March 10, 1898 – January 19 running phone pouch, 2000) was an activist and environmentalist who lived in the Seattle area for most of her life. Born in 1898 to an American mother and a Canadian father, she lived to see three centuries before her death at 101 years of age on January 19, 2000 goalie gloves sports direct. A member of the communist party, she was active in immigration issues and was at one point nearly deported herself, though she was later granted citizenship. During the later years of her life, she became known as an environmental activist and served as secretary for the Seattle Audubon Society for 35 years.

Hazel Wolf was born March 10, 1898 in a hotel located in Victoria, British Columbia. She grew up poor and her early years were largely dominated by class and poverty issues. Her father was a sergeant in the Canadian merchant marines and her mother was a native of Indiana. In 1901 her brother, named after her father but generally referred to as “Sonny,” was born. In 1903 her sister Dorothy was born. Hazel Wolf was formally trained as a social worker

United States Home BEDOYA 11 Jerseys

United States Home BEDOYA 11 Jerseys

BUY NOW

$266.58
$31.99

, but felt most at home among her people. This led to her involvement in the Communist party, where she felt she was doing ‘real’ social work. By the time of McCarthyism, Wolf was being targeted by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service as a subversive foreign national womens football tee shirts. Her deportation cases lasted from 1949 to 1963. She later became a US citizen, but made no apologies for having been a member of the communist party.

Her later years were largely dominated by her environmental activism, which led her to Washington D.C. to lobby congress on issues that were important to her. She became nationally recognized and was awarded the National Audubon Society’s Medal of Excellence. She traveled and lectured intensively, making connections with and between indigenous people, labor, and environmentalists. She traveled to Nicaragua in the late 1980s and early 1990s, seeing hope in the connection that the Sandinistas made between environmental stewardship and democratic socialism.

Hazel Wolf died on January 19, 2000 at 101 years of age.

Starbuck, S. (2003). Hazel Wolf: Fighting the Establishment. Seattle. University of Washington Press.

Share This:

Gillian Wise

Gillian Wise (born 1936, London is an English artist. She has devoted her long career to the application of concepts of rationality and aesthetic order to abstract paintings and reliefs. While her initial contribution to this constructivist practice dates from 1950, she has, in a lifetime of continuous development, taken these principles of the Modern Movement well into the 21st century.

She studied art at the Wimbledon and Central schools of Art and early in the 1950s became the youngest member of the Constructionist group, centred on Victor Pasmore and including Adrian Heath, John Ernest, Anthony Hill womens football tee shirts, Kenneth Martin, and Mary Martin. She exhibited in the 1957 Young Contemporaries exhibition at the Royal British Artists gallery and in the New Vision Centre’s abstract show in 1958. In the 1960s her work became much more widely shown with exhibitions in London (at the Drian, Axiom, Institute of Contemporary Arts, and Victoria and Albert Museum galleries), in Chicago, and at the 1965 Tokyo Biennale and the 1969 Nuremberg Biennale. In 1968 she gained a UNESCO Fellowship award to study in Prague, followed in 1969 by a British Council scholarship to study Russian constructivism in Leningrad. In the same year she exhibited with a group of British artists in an exhibition of systems-based abstraction in Finland, followed in 1970 by her joining many of the same artists in the newly founded Systems Group. Her fellow artists in that group included Jeffrey Steele, Peter Lowe, Malcolm Hughes, Jean Spencer, Michael Kidner, John Ernest, and David Saunders. She exhibited with the group in Matrix at the Arnolfini Gallery in Bristol in 1970, and then in 1972 at the Whitechapel Gallery in the Arts Council’s Systems exhibition. The Arts Council also commissioned her to curate the Constructivist section of the 1978 Hayward Annual, followed in the same year by her inclusion in the Arts Council’s Constructive Context show.

She taught at the Chelsea and St Martins schools of Art between 1971 and 1974, and later spent several years teaching and studying in the USA after being elected in 1981 as a Fellow of the Centre for Advanced Visual Studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. She also had appointment as Visiting Artist and Visiting Scholar at Harvard University and the University of California. While in the USA she was twice nominated in the UK as an RA, her nominees including the architects Ernő Goldfinger glass bottled water brands, Richard Rogers, and Hugh Casson, together, among others, with the artists Sandra Blow, William Scott, and Peter Blake. Her absence in the USA and later Paris prevented her election but the range and status of her nominees is evidence of the high regard for the quality and integrity of her work held by many leading artists and architects. Early in the 1980s she was commissioned by the architects of the Barbican Centre in London to design the large-scale mural construction in the stairwell to the main cinema. This work incorporates mirrors — a feature along with glass prisms which she has used in a number of her reliefs as a way of introducing effects of light which add to the perceptual interest of the abstract imagery.

Living in France for much of her later career, her exhibitions in the UK became infrequent in the 1990s although she was shown several times in Paris during this decade and, in 1995, in Chicago. In the 2000s her work has been included in group exhibitions in the Osborne Samuel and Poussin galleries in London, at the British Art Fair, and in two exhibitions of British abstract and systems-based art at the Southampton City Art Gallery. In 2010 her work was included along with that of Victor Pasmore, Anthony Hill, John Ernest, and Mary and Kenneth Martin in Tate Britain’s year-long display, Construction England. In 2013 her work was included in an exhibition in São Paulo soccer goalie outfits, Brazil, of British and Brazilian constructive artists, of which elements were shown by the Dan Galleria gallery in the London 2013 Frieze event. Examples of her work are also held in many public collections including the Tate, the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Government Art Collection, the Arts Council and the Henry Moore Institute; and abroad in collections in the USA, Finland, and Hungary.

Share This: