All posts by admin

USS Epperson (DD-719)

USS Epperson (DD/DDE-719) was a Gearing-class destroyer of the United States Navy, named for United States Marine Corps Private Harold G. Epperson (1923–1944), who was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroism in the Battle of Saipan.

Epperson was launched on 22 December 1945 at the Port Newark yard by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. of Kearny, New Jersey; sponsored by Mrs. J. B. Epperson, mother of Private Epperson. Epperson was placed in mothballs and towed to Bath Iron Works in December 1946. Epperson was redesignated DDE-719 on 28 January 1948; completed by Bath Iron Works Corp., Bath, Maine; and commissioned on 19 March 1949, Commander T. H. W. Connor in command.

Epperson conducted training along the east coast; on 10 December 1949 she arrived at Key West for intensive antisubmarine warfare exercises. On 22 August 1950 Epperson sailed for Pearl Harbor, her home port, arriving on 10 September. She operated in the Hawaiian Islands with her squadron and ships of other types, and on 7 November 1950 became flagship of Commander, Escort Division 12 how to make tender beef steak.

Epperson sailed from Pearl Harbor on 1 June 1951 for service in the Korean War. She screened the carrier task force off Korea, patrolled and bombarded the coast 32 ounce glass water bottle, and joined in hunter-killer exercises off Okinawa before returning to Pearl Harbor on 14 November. Her second Korean tour, from 10 November 1952 to 29 May 1953, found her performing similar duty thermos bottle with straw, as well as patrolling the Taiwan Straits, and entering the dangerous waters of Wonsan Harbor to bombard enemy shore batteries.

During the first 4½ months of 1954, Epperson patrolled in the Marshall Islands during thermonuclear weapons tests, and in June sailed for duty in the Far East once more, an annual part of her employment schedule through 1962. In 1958 and 1959, her western Pacific cruises included visits to Manus, ports in Australia and New Zealand, and Pago Pago, American Samoa.

Epperson’s classification reverted to DD-719 on 30 June 1962.

Epperson was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 30 January 1976.

The ship was transferred to Pakistan on 29 April 1977 coffee bottle thermos, and served in the Pakistani Navy as PNS Taimur (DD-166). The first commanding officer was Commander Syed Sajjad Haider. Under his command PNS Taimur was reconditioned at Naval Base San Diego and also underwent upgrading at Subic Bay Philippines.

Taimur was decommissioned in 1999, and sunk as a target in March 2000.

Epperson received five battle stars for Korean War service.

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found .

Share This:

Velasio De Paolis

Velasio De Paolis (ur. 19 września 1935 w Sonnino we Włoszech, zm. 9 września 2017 w Rzymie) – włoski duchowny katolicki, kardynał, były przewodniczący Prefektury Ekonomicznych Spraw Stolicy Apostolskiej.

Święcenia kapłańskie przyjął 18 marca 1961 football uniforms for kids. Doktoryzował się z prawa kanonicznego na Papieskim Uniwersytecie Gregoriańskim oraz zdobył licencjat z teologii na Angelicum meat tenderizer needles. Od 1988 był profesorem na Papieskim Uniwersytecie Urbaniana, a od 1997 dziekanem wydziału prawa kanonicznego.

30 grudnia 2003 został mianowany przez Jana Pawła II sekretarzem Sygnatury Apostolskiej oraz biskupem tytularnym diecezji Thelepte. Sakry biskupiej 21 lutego 2004 udzielił mu Sekretarz Stanu kard. Angelo Sodano. 12 kwietnia 2008 został mianowany przewodniczącym Prefektury Ekonomicznych Spraw Stolicy Apostolskiej. 9 lipca 2010 Benedykt XVI mianował go delegatem ds. Legionu Chrystusa o bardzo szerokim zakresie władzy wobec zgromadzenia.

20 października 2010 znalazł się na ogłoszonej przez papieża liście nowych kardynałów 1 liter glass bottle. Kreowany kardynałem na konsystorzu 20 listopada 2010.

21 września papież przyjął rezygnację kardynała z pełnionego stanowiska. Jego następcą został arcybiskup Giuseppe Versaldi insulated thermos.

Brał udział w konklawe 2013, które wybrało papieża Franciszka. 19 września 2015 w związku z ukończeniem 80 lat utracił prawo do czynnego udziału w przyszłych konklawe.

Share This:

Deneb

Deneb (/ˈdɛnɛb/), also designated α Cygni (Latinised alpha Cygni, abbreviated Alpha Cyg, α Cyg), is the brightest star in the constellation of Cygnus. It is one of the vertices of the asterism known as the Summer Triangle and forms the ‘head’ of the Northern Cross. It is the 19th brightest star in the night sky, with an apparent magnitude of 1.25. A blue-white supergiant, Deneb is also one of the most luminous stars. However, its exact distance (and hence luminosity) has been difficult to calculate; it is estimated to be somewhere between 55,000 and 196,000 times as luminous as the Sun.

α Cygni (Latinised to Alpha Cygni) is the star’s Bayer designation. The traditional name Deneb is derived from dhaneb, Arabic for “tail”, from the phrase ذنب الدجاجة Dhanab ad-Dajājah, or “tail of the hen”. In 2016, the International Astronomical Union organized a Working Group on Star Names (WGSN) to catalog and standardize proper names for stars. The WGSN’s first bulletin of July 2016 included a table of the first two batches of names approved by the WGSN; which included Deneb for this star. It is now so entered in the IAU Catalog of Star Names.

Deneb lies at one vertex of a widely spaced asterism called the Summer Triangle, the other two members of which are the zero-magnitude stars Vega in the constellation Lyra and Altair in Aquila. This formation is the approximate shape of a right triangle, with Deneb located at one of the acute angles. The Summer Triangle is recognizable in the northern skies for there are few other bright stars in its vicinity.

Deneb is also easily spotted as the tip of the Northern Cross asterism made up of the brightest stars in Cygnus, the others being Beta (Albireo), Gamma, Delta, and Epsilon Cygni. It never dips below the horizon at or above 45° north latitude, just grazing the northern horizon at its lowest point at such locations as Minneapolis, Montréal and Turin.

In the northern hemisphere Deneb is high in the sky during summer evenings.

In the southern hemisphere, Deneb is not at all visible south of 45° south parallel, so it just barely rises above the horizon in Tasmania and southern New Zealand during the southern winter (which corresponds to the northern summer).

Due to the Earth’s axial precession, Deneb will become the Pole star at around 9800 AD.

Deneb’s exact distance from the Earth is still rather uncertain. The currently accepted distance of around 2,600 light-years (and the associated physical data shown in the starbox) is derived by a variety of methods, including spectral luminosity classes, atmospheric modelling, stellar evolution models, assumed membership of the Cygnus OB7 association, and direct measurements of angular diameter. The original rather inaccurate Hipparcos parallax measurement was not inconsistent with this distance, but the more recent re-analysis gives a much larger parallax and a distance barely half the widely accepted value. One 2008 calculation using the Hipparcos data puts the most likely distance at 1,550 light-years, with an uncertainty of only around 10%, although parallax measurements of asymmetric, pulsating stars embedded within shells are known to be unreliable. The controversy over whether the direct Hipparcos measurements can be ignored in favour of a wide range of indirect stellar models and interstellar distance scales is similar to the better known situation with the Pleiades. The Gaia satellite should provide distance measurements at least two orders of magnitude more reliable than Hipparcos and resolve many such questions, although it will not measure Deneb itself.

Deneb’s absolute magnitude is currently estimated as −8.4, placing it among the most luminous stars known, with an estimated luminosity nearly 200,000 times that of the Sun. This is towards the upper end of various published values over the last few decades.

Deneb is the most luminous of the stars with apparent magnitude brighter than 1.5, and the most distant, by a factor of almost 2, of the 30 brightest stars. Based on its temperature and luminosity, and also on direct measurements of its tiny angular diameter (a mere 0.002 second of arc), Deneb appears to have a diameter of about over 200 times that of the Sun; if placed at the center of the Solar System, Deneb would extend out to the orbit of the Earth. It is one of the largest known white stars.

Deneb is a bluish-white star of spectral type A2Ia, with a surface temperature of 8

Chile Home MATIAS 14 Jerseys

Chile Home MATIAS 14 Jerseys

BUY NOW

$266.58
$31.99

,500 kelvin. Since 1943, its spectrum has served as one of the stable anchor points by which other stars are classified. It is the prototype of a class of variable stars known as Alpha Cygni variables. Its surface undergoes non-radial fluctuations which cause its brightness to vary by up to 0.15 magnitude with no clear periodicity, and the spectral type to change slightly.

Deneb’s mass is estimated at 19 solar masses (M☉). Its stellar wind causes it to lose mass at a rate of 8±3×107 M per year, one hundred thousand times the flow rate from the Sun.

Deneb has been reported as a possible single line spectroscopic binary, where the radial velocity of the spectral lines from the primary star changes in a periodic fashion lemon and lime squeezer, but no spectral features from a companion are seen. More detailed analysis of the spectrum over time has not found any support for this.

Deneb spent much of its early life as a 23 M O-type main-sequence star but it has now exhausted the supply of hydrogen in its core and begun to cool and expand. Stars in the mass range of Deneb eventually expand to become the most luminous red supergiants, and within a few million years their cores will collapse producing a supernova explosion. It is now known that red supergiants up to a certain mass explode as the commonly seen type II-P supernovae, but more massive ones lose their outer layers to become hotter again. Depending on their initial masses and the rate of mass loss, they may explode as yellow hypergiants or luminous blue variables, or they may become Wolf-Rayet stars before exploding in a type Ib or Ic supernova. Identifying whether Deneb is currently evolving towards a red supergiant or is currently evolving bluewards again would place valuable constraints on the classes of stars that explode as red supergiants and those that explode as hotter stars.

Stars evolving redwards for the first time are most likely fusing hydrogen in a shell around a helium core that has not yet grown hot enough to start fusion to carbon and oxygen. Convection has begun to dredge up the products of fusion but these are not visible at the surface. Post-red supergiant stars are expected to show those fusion products at the surface due to stronger convection during the red supergiant phase and due to loss of the obscuring outer layers of the star. Deneb is thought to be evolving redwards, although current models do not exactly reproduce the surface elements showing in its spectrum.

Names similar to Deneb were given to at least seven different stars, most notably Deneb Kaitos, the brightest star in the constellation of Cetus; Deneb Algedi, the brightest star in Capricornus; and Denebola, the second brightest star in Leo. All these stars are referring to the tail of the animals that their respective constellations represent.

Denebadigege was used in the Alfonsine Tables, other variants include Deneb Adige, Denebedigege and Arided. This latter name was derived from Al Ridhādh, a name for the constellation. Johann Bayer called it Arrioph, derived from Aridf and Al Ridf, ‘the hindmost’ or Gallina. German poet and author Philippus Caesius termed it Os rosae, or Rosemund in German, or Uropygium – the parson’s nose. The names Arided and Aridif have fallen out of use.

In Chinese, 天津 (Tiān Jīn), meaning Celestial Ford, refers to an asterism consisting of Deneb, γ Cygni, δ Cygni, 30 Cygni, ν Cygni, τ Cygni, υ Cygni, ζ Cygni and ε Cygni. Consequently, Deneb itself is known as 天津四 (Tiān Jīn sì, English: the Fourth Star of the Celestial Ford).

In the Chinese love story of Qi Xi, Deneb marks the magpie bridge across the Milky Way, which allows the separated lovers Niu Lang (Altair) and Zhi Nü (Vega) to be reunited on one special night of the year in late summer. In other versions of the story Deneb is a fairy who acts as chaperone when the lovers meet.

The north pole of Mars points to the midpoint of the line connecting Deneb and the star Alderamin.

USS Arided was a United States Navy Crater-class cargo ship named after the star.

The star Deneb, and hypothetical planets orbiting it, have been used many times in literature, film, electronic games, and music. Examples include several episodes of the Star Trek TV series, the Silver Surfer comic book, the Rush albums A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres, the Descent: FreeSpace – The Great War computer game, Stellaris (video game), science fiction novel Hyperion, and Andy Weir, in his novel The Martian.

Coordinates: Sky map

Share This:

Royal Company of Archers

The Royal Company of Archers is a ceremonial unit that serves as the Sovereign’s Bodyguard in Scotland, a role it has performed since 1822 and the reign of King George IV, when the company provided a personal bodyguard to the King on his visit to Scotland water glass. It is currently known as the Queen’s Bodyguard For Scotland, and is located in Edinburgh, the capital city. The Royal Company of Archers has a long history in Scotland as a body that celebrated both the recreation and talent of local archers. As a body established by the Monarch, the Company has a long history of unique prizes, influential supporters, and ceremonial roles.

During the 17th and 18th centuries in Scotland, a muster or military rendezvous, called a “wapinschaw” (a weapon-showing) was held at least twice a year. Men were summoned by the sheriff and other civil magistrates to attend a muster in their respective counties at least 20 days in advance of the meeting. The civil magistrates, in conjunction with commissioners appointed by the King, supervised this body of militia, divided it into companies, and appointed captains. People of all stations were obligated to play their part in each rendezvous and to show up equipped in military gear that conformed to their respective ranks. The Lords and Barons were required to provide a list of the members of their company and the weapons they brought with them to the civil magistrates and King’s commissioners. The commissioners then compiled a list of the whole muster, which was presented to the King.

By using the old laws of wapinschaw, the Jacobites formed a plan to institutionalise a military corps, under a pretext of sports and recreation, that could be assembled by an authority as occasion offered. A society for encouraging and exercising archery had already been formed in 1676, as a private archery club. This society sought and acquired the patronage of the Scottish Privy Council, which provided a prize that was shot for by the company’s members. The company consisted of distinguished nobles and gentlemen of the day. The Marquis of Athole was the company’s Captain-General in 1670; and they held frequent meetings during the reign of the royal brothers. No traces of this company exist for some time after the Glorious Revolution. Upon the accession of Queen Anne, and death of the Marquis of Athole, they appointed Sir George Mackenzie, then Lord Tarbat and Secretary of State, and afterwards Earl of Cromarty, their Captain-General.

Having chosen a new leader, the society obtained from Queen Anne a charter under the Great Seal of Scotland, establishing it as a corporation by Letters Patent, dated 31 December 1713 into a Royal Company. These letters of patent: revived and ratified, on their behalf, the old laws and acts of Parliament that favored archery; gave them power to admit members, chose a President and council, appoint commanding officers, and to meet and act under their officers’ supervision in military form for weapon-shawing as often as they should think convenient; and prohibited the civil magistrate from interrupting their activities. These rights and privileges were designed after the mode of feudal tenure, and to hold them in blanch fee (reddendo) of Her Majesty and her successors, therefore annually acknowledging a pair of barbed arrows. The society received these rights and privileges in its charter from Queen Anne in 1704. In return for being endowed with “perpetual access to all public butts, plains and pasturages legally allotted for shooting arrows”, the Royal Company is required to present to the Sovereign three barbed arrows on request.

The first such weapon-shawing was held on 14 June 1714, with the Marquis of Athole as the Company’s Captain-General, even though he was in his 80s by this time, and the Earl of Wemyss as Lieutenant-General at the head of about 50 archers. On that occasion, the society shot a silver arrow, presented to them by the City of Edinburgh, at Leith. By the following year, the Company had doubled in number and was led by David Wemyss, 4th Earl of Wemyss after the death of the Marquis of Athole.

After the first Jacobite rising in 1715 no parade was held for nine years, but they resumed under James Hamilton, 5th Duke of Hamilton on 4 August 1724 at Musselburgh. However, after 1734 public parades were discontinued until the Napoleonic Wars were over.

The Company’s traditions relate to its reason for formation, the archery competition. To further this, it offers thirteen prizes that were at some time in the past competed for annually. Many are retained to the present day.

The tradition of shooting the silver Musselburgh Arrow predates the creation of the Company to that, known as the small arrow presented by the town of Musselburgh in 1603, and follows in the traditions of other burghs of Scotland. A new, large, arrow was presented in 1713. The victor of the shooting retains the arrow for a year, and on handing it over to the next victor appends a medal to the arrow with an engraved personal motto, all of which are held by the Company. 103 such medals were held by the Company by 1816.

By the 1820s three more arrows were also presented by the cities of Peebles (1626), Selkirk (1675) and Edinburgh.

The Edinburgh Arrow was presented by the City of Edinburgh in 1709, and the medals appended to it are in gold. The winner was at one time entitled to a prize of five pounds Sterling from the City, but this fell into abeyance after 1716. The ‘Edinburgh Arrow’ is an annual competition, known as the Sovereign’s Prize since 28 July 1822, when it was competed for at the nearby Bruntsfield Links. It is the rule of the prize “1. That the said Silver Arrow be shot for at the rovers in Leith Links, upon the second Monday of June yearly, at ten of the clock in the forenoon if the day be favourable; and if not, that the shooting be adjourned to the next fair Monday.” 16 June 2009 marked the 300th anniversary of the first competition for The Edinburgh Arrow.

The three arrows are now depicted on one of the standards. Until the institution of the third prize, only a pair of arrows was presented to the Sovereign on demand, this now increased to three.

The fifth prize is The Silver Punch bowl and Ladle presented to the company in 1720, and likewise had medals appended to it by its winner. The Bowl made to the value of £20, and the bill for its construction and the engraving on it came to £22, 13s. 9d. sterling. It had inscribed on one side the common seal of the Company, and on the opposite side the reverse of the seal; and between those, on one side a Saint Andrew, and on the other the following inscription: “Edinburgh, 20th June 1720. — The Councill of the Royall Company of Archers, viz., Mr David Drummond, Praeses, Thomas Kincaid, John Nairn, James Ross, Robert Lowis, John Lowis, John Carnegy, George Drummond, Tresr., William Murray and James Lowis, clerks, ordered this piece of plate to be furnished out of the stock of the Company, and to be shot for as ane annual pryze. at rovers by the said Company, as the Councill for the time shall appoint

This prize consists of a medal, one of two which were presented to the Company in 1793 by Major James Spens, The 73rd Regiment (Royal Highland East Indies). They were made from fifty “pagodas,” being part of the money actually paid by Tippu Sultan to the allies at the Treaty of Seringapatam in 1792.

A prize by the General John Earl of Hopetoun commemorating the 1822 visit by King George IV is also competed for annually on the king’s or queen’s birthday, and known as the Commemoration Prize.

Since 1677 there has also been a competition for The Royal (Queen’s) Prize for which £20 is awarded on the condition that the winner contributes to the Company silver plate to the value of money received from the Crown. The condition is that the plate must bear the insignia of Archery.

The ninth and tenth prizes are a pair of Silver Bugles, one presented to the Royal Company by one of the General Officers, Sir Henry Jardine, Knight, and which was shot for on 9 April 1830, for the first time. The second was presented later by the Sovereign’s Bodyguard.

St. Andrew’s Cross, given in the 1840s by Sir George Steuart Mackenzie, of Coul, to the Royal Company, and called the “St.Andrew’s Prize.”

The above prizes were competed at the 180, 185 and 200 yards distance with two targets or ‘clouts’ as the aiming mark, one located at each end of the range. Two further prizes are competed for ‘at butts’ or point blank distance.

The Prize of the Goose was competed for since 1703 and involved a live goose, requiring the winner to kill the goose when only its head protruded from the mark. The winner was to be known as the Captain of the Goose for a season. At some time in the history of the Company the above method was adopted for shooting for the prize of the Goose by inserting a small glass globe of about an inch in diameter in the centre of the butt-mark, which is a circular piece of cardboard, four inches in diameter. The competitor whose arrow first breaks this globe is declared ” Captain of the Goose ” for the year, and was awarded the other gold medal presented by Major Spens.

This is the more often competed for prize, the competition being held three times a year for three days each time, the scoring accounted in points like the usual archery competition.

The Rules and Regulations of the Royal Company of Archers have never been printed, and, in fact, were never completed. The society may, therefore, be considered as “lawless” when within the precincts of their shooting ground.

The main duties of the company are now ceremonial, and since the 1822 appointment as the Sovereign’s ‘Body Guard in Scotland’ for George IV’s visit to Edinburgh, include attending the Sovereign at various functions during the annual Royal Visit to Scotland when he or she approach within five miles of Edinburgh, including the Order of the Thistle investitures at The High Kirk of Edinburgh (St Giles Cathedral), the Royal Garden Party and the Ceremony of the Keys at the Palace of Holyroodhouse and the presentation of new colours to Scottish regiments. At the Holyrood-house they provide corridor guard of honour.

The Company arrives at the Holyrood-house by march at noon, preceded by their pipes and drums band, and holding the unstrung bows in their right hands. Initially they occupy the colonnades of the façade.

The Company has a march, the Archer’s March composed by Allan Ramsay, which was played on special occasions.

Sound, sound the music, sound it,
Let hills and dales rebound it,
Let hills and dales rebound it
In praise of Archery football uniforms for kids.
Used as a Game it pleases,
The mind to joy it raises,
And throws off all diseases
Of lazy luxury.

Now, now our care beguiling,
When all the year looks smiling,
When all the year looks smiling
With healthful harmony.
The sun in glory glowing,
With morning dew bestowing
Sweet fragrance, life, and growing
To flowers and every tree.

Tis now the archers royal,
An hearty band and loyal,
An hearty band and loyal,
That in just thought agree,
Appear in ancient bravery,
Despising all base knavery,
Which tends to bring in slavery,
Souls worthy to live free.

Sound, sound the music, sound it,
Fill up the glass and round wi’t,
Fill up the glass and round wi’t,
Health and Prosperity
To our great chief and officers,
To our president and counsellors,
To all who like their brave forbears
Delight in Archery.

The Royal Company of Archers has its base in Buccleuch Street, Edinburgh at Archers’ Hall. Building commenced on 15 August 1776, and was completed by Alexander Laing in 1777. The Hall was extended in 1900 by A.F. Balfour Paul, and recently refurbished. The Hall consists of a hall, forty feet by twenty-four, and eighteen feet high; two rooms of eighteen by nineteen, and kitchen, cellars, lobby, and other apartments. The ground behind the house is laid out into a bowling-green, known as The Meadows or Hope Park, a spot deriving its name from Sir Thomas Hope, who drained and converted it into an archery ground, maintained by the Edinburgh Bowling Club. The Hall serves as a venue for various dinners and meetings of the company.

The affairs of the Company are managed by a President and six counsellors, who are chosen annually by the whole membership. The Council is vested with the power of receiving or rejecting candidates for admission, and of appointing the company’s officers, civil and military.

The structure of the organisation is divided between officers (including a Secretary, currently David Younger) and members. By seniority, the officers comprise one Captain-General, four Captains, four Lieutenants, four Ensigns and twelve Brigadiers.

From the starting membership of 50 the number of the corps numbered about 1,000 in late 18th century, but only exceeded five hundred by the 1930s. The Captain-General is the Gold Stick for Scotland. In effect the size of the membership is more than that of a cadre light infantry battalion in low (reduced) establishment of three companies than a company, and would equate more to the British Army regiment.

Every officer of the Archers is of the rank of a general, and the privates of the corps rank at Court as colonels.

Members of the Royal Company must be male and Scots or have strong Scottish connections. Membership is by election; the present membership totals around 530, with an active list of some 400 who pay an annual subscription of £25.

The Company has two standards. The first of these bears on one side Mars and Cupid encircled in a wreath of thistles, with this motto: In peace and war. On the other, a yew tree, with two men dressed and equipped as archers, encircled as the former motto: Dal gloria vires (Glory Gives Strength). The other standard displays on one side, on a field or, a lion rampant gules, encircled with a double tressure flory-counter flory of the second (the Royal Arms of Scotland); on the top, a thistle and crown, motto: Nemo me impune lacessit (no one provokes me with impunity). On the other, St Andrew on the cross on field argent; at the top, a crown non leaking water bottles, motto: Dulce pro patria periculum (danger is sweet for one’s country).

The three arrows on the standard were added after introduction of a third-place winner in the competition since 1720.

The Royal Company of Archers have the distinction of being the first military body of troops in the service of the British Crown who adopted tartan as a part of their uniform.

The original uniform of the corps appears to have been a “shooting” dress, consisting of a tartan, lined with white, trimmed with green and white ribbons; a white sash, with green tossels; and a blue bonnet, with a St. Andrew’s cross, a tartan coat, with knee-breeches and white vest; and a “common uniform,” the coat of which was “a green lapelled frock.” Tartan was fashionable at the time as an expression of anti-Union and pro-Jacobite sentiment and many of the Company were known Jacobites.

From 1713 to 1746 a red tartan sett was used for uniform, but it has not been satisfactorily settled as to what sett of tartan this was, though it was intended to be patterned on that worn by Prince Charles Edward Stuart. After 36 following the Battle of Culloden the Act of Proscription passed by Parliament which “proscribed or banned the making or wearing of Tartan cloths” was repealed, and from 1783 tartans were worn again. However, in 1789 the red tartan sett was discarded for the Black Watch one. In 1734 the headgear worn by the corps was a flat bonnet, ornamented with green and white feathers. Until 1823 (and possibly later) the Royal Company of Archers still wore tartan.

Late in the 19th century when the Queen Victoria opened the Glasgow Exhibition, Her Majesty’s Scottish Bodyguard wore their dark green tunics (formerly of the “Black Watch” tartan), with black braid facings and a narrow stripe of crimson velvet in the centre; shoulder wings and gauntleted cuffs similarly trimmed; dark green trousers with black and crimson stripe; a bow case worn as a sash, adorned with two arrows forming a St. Andrew’s cross surmounted by a crown; a black leather waist-belt with richly chased gold clasp; a short, gilt-headed Roman sword, like an English bandsman’s; Highland bonnet with thistle and one or more eagle feathers.

Their uniform until the Second World War, however has been a Court dress of green with gold embroidery, and cocked hat with a plume of dark cock’s feathers. The officers’ dress has gold embroidery, and their rank is indicated by two or, in the case of the captain, three, feathers being worn in the bonnet. The corps shooting dress is a dark-green tunic with crimson facings, shoulder-wings and gauntleted cuffs and dark-green trousers trimmed with black and crimson, a bow-case worn as a sash, of the same colour as the coat, black waistbelt with sword, Highland cap with thistle ornament and one or more eagle feathers, and a hunting knife. The weapon worn with this uniform is the sword.

Over the years the Company members have included soldiers, scientists water canteen, lawyers and politicians.

The Company forms a part of The Queen’s Household in Scotland.

Archers’ Hall is a Category B listed building, i.e. “buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered” in compliance with Scotland’s Town and Country Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

Share This:

Organización Central de Trabajadores de Suecia

La Organización Central de Trabajadores de Suecia (SAC, por sus siglas en sueco, de Sveriges Arbetares Centralorganisation) es una federación sindical sueca de orientación anarcosindicalista. A diferencia de otros sindicatos de Suecia, SAC organiza a trabajadores de todas las profesiones, así como a desempleados, estudiantes y jubilados. La SAC publica el semanario Arbetaren (‘El trabajador’), es propietaria de la editorial “Federativs” y maneja el seguro de desempleo “Sveriges Arbetares Arbetslöshetskassa” (SAAK). Hoy en día la SAC es una agrupación relativamente pequeña en Suecia, cuenta con alrededor de 7500 trabajadores afiliados, que juntan unos 13000 miembros organizados, en 135 federaciones locales.

Su objetivo a largo plazo es realizar el anarquismo, una sociedad sin clases ni jerarquías, en donde los medios de producción sean propiedad compartida y administrada por los trabajadores: en efecto, la abolición del capitalismo

Fabric Shaver

Electric Cord Operated Fabric Shaver

BUY NOW

$59.00
$12.99

, la esclavitud salarial, y el sexismo.​ SAC se declara antisexista, antimilitarista, y, es el primer sindicato feminista en Suecia (1998). Objetivos a corto plazo son el mejoramiento de los salarios y de las condiciones de trabajo. A menudo colabora con otras organizaciones sociales libertarias, como la Federación Juvenil Anarcosindicalista Sueca (SUF), aunque SUF no es parte de la SAC.

Dado el carácter antiautoritario del anarcosindicalismo sueco, la SAC tiene abiertas sus puertas para los perseguidos por cualquier dictadura o gobierno del mundo.​ Para afiliarse a dicha organización no hace falta residir permanentemente en Suecia ni otro requisito que no sea el de aceptar su declaración de principios y pagar una módica cuota mensual.​ Sin embargo, dentro de la amplia gama de grupos inmigrantes en Suecia, solamente el proveniente de Eritrea han logrado articular sus intereses con la actividad de los sindicalistas suecos.

También se propone sindicalizar a los indocumentados de Suecia, organizándolos,​ el sindicato ofrece distintos servicios a los indocumentados, desde proporcionar información sobre sus derechos como trabajadores, hasta acompañamiento en los trámites de búsqueda de permiso de trabajo, traducción de documentos, y cursos de suecos.

SAC fue constituida en 1910 por ex miembros de la corriente del movimiento sindical “LO” -Lands Organisationer (Organización Nacional) conectado con el partido socialdemócrata- que querían una organización independiente de cualquier partido político y que fueron influenciados por el sindicalismo revolucionario francés de la Confederación General del Trabajo. En la conferencia de trabajadores de la SAC, que tuvo lugar en Örebro en noviembre 25-26 de 1917, se decidió el plan de acción de masas para la primavera de 1918 con la finalidad de obtener la jornada de 8 horas de trabajo.

También es miembro fundador, en 1922, de la anarcosindicalista Asociación Internacional de los Trabajadores, pero entraron en conflicto con la AIT en la década de 1950 cuando SAC entró en un fondo de desempleo apoyado por el Estado, que la AIT consideró como colaboración con el Estado y reformista. En 1956, SAC se retiró de la AIT.

Los bastiones tradicionales de la SAC eran principalmente en la silvicultura, la minería y las industrias de la construcción. Hoy, la mayoría de los miembros del SAC son empleados en el sector público.

Las decisiones deben, según la SAC,hacerse por aquellos a quienes concierne o afecta, y no por los representantes o los dirigentes. Esa es la razón por la que aplican el federalismo, la democracia directa y la acción directa. Las decisiones acerca de las negociaciones, anuncios, las acciones ofensivas y los acuerdos son, en definitiva, hechas por los miembros de las secciones operativas. Las decisiones sobre el uso de fondos de conflictos son realizados por la Co-organización local (los miembros de ella, por supuesto). Los avisos de la Central acerca de la acción ofensiva, las huelgas, y otras cosas existen, pero pueden ser anulado a nivel local por las instancias locales. Los vetos centrales a medidas contra los conflictos no existen. La concentración del poder es evitado al no dejar que los empleados administrativos de la SAC sean elegidos para cargos de confianza o como representantes de su congreso.

La mayoría de los lugares de trabajo están hoy cubiertos por convenios colectivos creados por Landsorganisationen (LO), que se aplican no sólo a los miembros de la LO, sino también a otros empleados de los lugares de trabajo en cuestión. Sin embargo, sólo los miembros de la LO están vinculados como parte del acuerdo, lo que significa que los miembros de SAC – y, por supuesto, otros sindicatos que no sean de LO – son libres de iniciar acciones ofensivas, aunque el actual acuerdo colectivo de salarios no incluye una cláusula de huelga.

SAC tiene una doble estructura, por distribución geográfica e industrial. Está influenciado por la forma en que la CGT francesa se estructuró en el momento de la fundación de la SAC.

Un comité central (centralkommitté, “CK”), integrado por miembros elegidos de los distritos conduce a la aplicación de las decisiones adoptadas por el congreso y podrá tomar decisiones sobre cuestiones menores. Un comité ejecutivo (arbetsutskott, “AU”) elegidos por el congreso se ocupa de las cuestiones recurrentes. Entre los congresos asuntos importantes y elecciones complementarias son hechas por referendos. Las co-organizaciones locales son independientes en asuntos y cuestiones que les conciernen sólo a ellas, y tienen sus propios fondos, a pesar de que también existen un fondo central.

La secretaría de SAT se encuentra en la sede SAC en Sveavägen 98, Estocolmo. La estación de metro más cercana es la Rådmansgatan small stainless steel water bottle. El objetivo de la secretaría es de coordinar el trabajo interno y externo de la organización. Arbetaren y Federativs se encuentran en el mismo edificio.

Anna-Klara Bratt ha ocupado recientemente el puesto de editora jefa en Arbetaren (El Trabajador), el periódico semanal que funciona como órgano de expresión de la SAC o Sveriges Arbetares Centralorganisation (Asociación Central de los Trabajadores Suecos), un pequeño pero influyente sindicato que ejerce una fuerte presión a nivel político en Suecia y que se inscribe en la corriente ideológica representada por CGT y CNT en España.

Su nombramiento como responsable de esta publicación no tendría mayor trascendencia si no fuera porque se trata de la primera mujer que ocupa este puesto en la historia de Arbetaren y porque su asignación como editora jefa en este periódico ha significado un radical cambio de orientación del mismo hacia temas femeninos, tratados desde una perspectiva femenina.

Share This:

De Kiekeboes

De Kiekeboes is a comic strip series created by Belgian artist Merho in 1977. The series appears in Dutch. It is first published in the newspapers Gazet van Antwerpen and Het Belang van Limburg and then published as comic books by Standaard Uitgeverij. The series is the best-selling comic in Flanders, but is unsuccessful abroad, with only a few publications in French and English reusable glass water bottles.

De Kiekeboes debuted in 1977. Merho had previously worked with Willy Vandersteen but wanted to create his own series. The first story, De Wollebollen, started in Het Laatste Nieuws. on 15 February 1977.

New albums in the series appear every three months, and sell over 100,000 copies each. Like most Flemish comic strips best vacuum sealed thermos, De Kiekeboes comics are steady sellers, with most of the series available for sale at any one time. New titles are the best selling comics in Flanders, with some 80,000 copies sold in the first year of publication. In 2007, only the Dutch translation of the final Harry Potter book sold more copies.

After being assisted for a while by Steve Van Bael and then by Dirk Stallaert, Merho announced that from 1 January 2006 on, the comics would be drawn by Steve Van Bael and Thomas Du Caju, who would each produce two comics a year. Merho continues to write the stories and to make early sketches.

To celebrate the thirtieth anniversary of the comic strip in 2007, an exposition was held in the Belgian Centre for Comic Strip Art and a wall painting was unveiled in Antwerp. Statues of Kiekeboe and of his daughter Fanny are placed in Middelkerke. Another statue of Kiekeboe can be found in Halle-Zoersel.

Ordered by approximate number of appearances.

Share This:

Pablo Hidalgo

Pablo Hidalgo (born 12 October 1974) is a Chilean-Canadian and creative executive, currently working for Lucasfilm on the Star Wars franchise and member of the Lucasfilm Story Group.

Hidalgo was born in Santiago de Chile and raised in Winnipeg, Canada. In 1987 he became a fan of the role-playing game (RPG) resources published West End Games, the only official source of Star Wars content in the late 1980s and took it upon himself to become knowledgeable of the universe to create better stories for the group of friends he was playing it with. He later used both content from the RPG and ideas he developed for his gaming sessions within official Star Wars media what can i use to tenderize steak, such as the tracking device used by the Inquisitor and the name of a ship in Star Wars Rebels.

He submitted content for West End Games’ Star Wars Adventure Journal in 1993 best toddler water bottle. Although rejected because he was not a published author at the time, his correspondence with the company resulted in him being hired as a cartoonist for the magazine by Peter Schweighofer. Since he was now a published author, he was allowed to publish material for the RPG as well as stories in the magazine.

During his involvement, he collected the first large-scale database of Star Wars knowledge, parts of which he posted online in 1997 as the “Star Wars Index”. He also used his extensive knowledge to assist Steve Sansweet with fact-checking the Star Wars Encyclopedia, the first such work published shortly before the release of the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

In January 2000 he was hired by Sansweet at Lucasfilm to build up StarWars.com, the official Star Wars website, as a resource for fans during the then-active filming and launch of the Star Wars prequel trilogy. He then served as Internet Content Manager for Lucas Online, the division of Lucasfilm responsible for maintaining StarWars.com, where he also published multiple comics until 2011. Even though Star Wars canon was not completely error-free at this point due to a previous lack of oversight and he was not in any official capacity employed to help maintain it, Hidalgo was already being consulted to ensure continuity during this time.

In 2005, he had a non-speaking cameo role in Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith as a patron of the opera Chancellor Palpatine and Anakin Skywalker visit.

After Disney’s acquisition of Lucasfilm, he approached Kathleen Kennedy about making his consulting role official which led to the creation of the Lucasfilm Story Group (other members include Kiri Hart and Leland Chee), a group of Star Wars experts tasked with maintaining the canon of the franchise after its partial reboot in 2014. Their duties range from fact-checking dialogue, e.g. whether a certain character would really say a certain line or whether it makes sense in the universe’s context, to keeping track of names and locations of planets as well as naming unnamed planets, characters and other entities as well as coordinating all stories in development.

Sometimes called the Yoda of Lucasfilm, his insider knowledge of Star Wars canon is used by multiple sources to confirm or deny rumors about certain characters full football uniform, locations or events within the fictional universe. J. J. Abrams admitted that during the production of Star Wars: The Force Awakens he often e-mailed Hidalgo up to three times a day asking him questions about details about the franchise’s universe.

Hidalgo is the author of several official reference and guide books about the Star Wars franchise as well as the G.I best marinade to tenderize steak. Joe and Transformers franchises.

Share This:

Hosea Stout

United States Home JONES 13 Jerseys

United States Home JONES 13 Jerseys

BUY NOW

$266.58
$31.99

.

During the time of the Black Hawk War, Hosea Stout became acquainted with the Latter Day Saints movement and was taught by later apostle Charles C. Rich. In 1837 he sold his business and move to Caldwell County, Missouri where the Latter Day Saints had gathered after their expulsion from Jackson County, Missouri and Kirtland, Ohio. Here he married Samantha Peck. Shortly after this he was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

During the Missouri Mormon War, of 1838 Hosea Stout was a member of the Danites, a Latter Day Saint vigilante group and took a central role in the events of the 1838 Mormon War, and fought in the Battle of Crooked River. After the Latter Day Saints were forced to leave Missouri and moved to Nauvoo, Illinois, Stout served as a bodyguard for Joseph Smith During this period he was also a commander in the Nauvoo Legion and the Chief of Police of Nauvoo. He was further set apart as President of the eleventh Quorum of Seventies and made a member of the Council of Fifty, an organization created by Joseph Smith in preparation for the Second Coming of Christ.

Shortly after the death of Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum in 1844 at the hands of a unit of the Illinois State Militia, their brother Samuel H. Smith also died under allegedly suspicious circumstances. Samuel Smith’s daughter and William Smith, who was the only surviving Smith brother, later claimed that Stout had poisoned Samuel under orders from Brigham Young and Willard Richards, members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. However, Stout was never tried for this alleged crime and Smith’s claims are disputed.

After Brigham Young and the LDS Church were forced to leave Nauvoo in 1846, Stout served as the chief of police in Winter Quarters, Nebraska when the Latter-day Saints migrated there. An early Mormon pioneer, Stout arrived in the Salt Lake Valley as a member Heber C. Kimball’s company in September 1848.

Sometime after leaving Navuoo, Hosea Stout married additional wives, consistent with teachings and practices of the LDS church at the time. He wed a total of six wives.

In 1852 Stout was called on the first mission to China along with three other individuals: Chapman Duncan, James Lewis, and Walter Thompson. However, these missionaries did not meet with much success and soon returned home.

On August 28, 1852, a decision was made by the Mormon missionary leaders that Elders Hosea Stout, James Lewis and Chapman Duncan were to travel on a mission to China. Stout and his peers did not know the Chinese language. Stout traveled to Hong Kong, a British colony. Unfortunately, the people in Hong Kong did not receive his missionary message tenderize steak marinade. In late 1853, Stout and his peers returned to United States. His missions to China and Hong Kong were unsuccessful.

In November 1856, Stout helped rescue a snowbound handcart company caught in Wyoming. During the Utah War of 1857-1858, Stout helped build and maintain fortifications in Echo Canyon meant to deter federal forces from entering Utah Territory. In later years, “Wild Bill” Hickman admitted to murdering one Richard Yates during this period at the mouth of Echo Canyon. In a deal for immunity from prosecution, Hickman implicated Stout and other Mormon leaders in the murder. Stout was arrested for the crime in 1871 and was incarcerated for six months at Fort Douglas before being released and acquitted. In 1877, he retired from public life due to poor health and died 11 years later near Salt Lake City.

In Utah, Stout started a long career in both law and politics. He was elected to the Utah Territory’s House of Representatives in 1849 and was a part of the delegation to create a constitution for the proposed State of Deseret. Stout served as the first Attorney General of Utah Territory, and in 1851, he was one of the first lawyers admitted to the bar of Utah. From 1856 to 1857, he served as the speaker of the House. Later, he was chairman of the code commissioners, a territorial prosecutor, and U.S. Attorney.

One of Stout’s greatest contributions was as a diarist. The “Diary of Hosea Stout” has become an invaluable resource for historians of the Latter-day Saints in the nineteenth-century.

Current editions:

Share This: